There’s nothing better than a little bit of goat cheese to add freshness and flavour to your Spring and Summer sandwiches. So today, we are going to make a delicious sandwich with goat cheese that ticks all the boxes:
- it has goat cheese
- it features 3 delicious Italian ingredients
- it’s full of flavour
- it’s quick to make
- it’s delicious and nutritious too
What to expect: a sandwich that’s ready in 5 minutes, uses only 5 ingredients (if you don’t count the basil and EVOO which should be pantry staples), it’s fresh and tasty, and it won’t steal all your allocated calories for the day.
How does it taste? When you taste it you’ll be welcomed by the freshness of the goat cheese and basil, then you’ll meet the sweetness of the roasted turkey ham, and finally you’ll get a kick from the Cannonata.
Let’s make it.
Goat Cheese in Italian
Formaggio di Capra is how we call goat cheese in Italian. Formaggio is cheese, although I am pretty sure you know that. And capra is goat. Di is the preposition of, but in this case it’s read as from – cheese from goat.
Goat cheese has become quiet the trend in Italy the same as it has worldwide because many health conscious individuals appreciate the higher nutrition this brings to their diet. And that also applies to goat milk, goat yogurt and other goat derived dairy products.
If you google goat milk vs cow milk you’ll quickly find out the following:
- goat milk is ticker and creamier
- it contains more minerals and vitamins (like calcium, potassium and vitamin A) although that comes with a few more calories
- it is higher in protein
- it’s lower in lactose
- and it’s easier to digest
As goat cheese is made from goat milk, you can apply all of the above benefits to goat cheese. That’s why the Healthline puts goat cheese among the 9 healthiest cheeses to eat.
You might think that goat cheese is just a single type of cheese, but that’s not it. Like for cow cheese, there are many varieties of cheese that can be made from goat milk. Let’s look at 7 types of Italian goat cheese with their names.
- Algunder from Alto Adige in South Tyrol
- The famous Blu di Capra which a blue cheese from Lombardia
- Goat cheese ricotta called Cacio ricotta from Campania
- Cadolet which resembles the French camembert
- Caprino from Lattari Mountains in Campania it’s slighty aged variety
- Padduni from Sicily, a very old cheese which is famous for having been quoted by Omero
- Goat cheese Stracchino
Italian Sandwich Bread and the 7 best types to use
Now that we’ve looked at all these cheeses, I don’t know about you but I am craving bread.
Since we are going to make an Italian panino let’s look at the 7 best types of Italian bread for sandwiches.
- Tramezzino bread which is the sliced soft and white sandwich bread, although there are many types of that nowadays
- Ciabatta bread for rustic sandwiches
- Michetta or rosetta, popular with mortadella
- Puccia Pugliese from our region
- Mafalda from Sicily (perfect to make this fried eggplant panino)
- Schiacciatella Catanese
If you like your bread, and want to know all about Italian bread, go check out the 34 Must-Try Italian Bread Types & how to eat them.
Why are we using brioche bun then to make this recipe?
Because it reminds us of the Italian panino al latte (which means a milk bread roll) that’s perfect for a turkey and goat cheese sandwich.
Italian Sandwich Name
As I just mentioned, tramezzino is the Italian name for sandwich if we refer to the classic white slices of soft bread.
Pancarrè, or pane in cassetta, is another name to call this white loaf of soft and spongy bread.
Italian Sandwich Fillings
Here are the top 3 ways Italian eat this type of bread:
- Grilled in a sandwich press machine with ham, cheese, tomatoes and extra virgin olive oil
- With ham and cheese, some lettuce and a spread (check out our range of Italian sandwich spreads)
- With tuna, boiled eggs and mayonnaise
Goat Cheese Sandwich Recipe
I think it’s about time we make this delicious and fresh panino. Are you ready?
Below you’ll find the full recipe. Feel free to print it out or follow along on your screen.
Ingredients for this Italian sandwich
Among the ingredients for this Italian sandwich, you’ll find one that you might have never heard about. I am referring to Cannonata, which is an Apulian vegetable spread that’s a tiny spicy and very versatile.
It’s not only a great spread for bread but it’s also delicious enjoyed as a dip with these tarallini.
It makes a mean vegetarian Italian pasta, and you can use it on meats, chicken and with eggs.
Along with Cannonata, don’t forget to use a high quality extra virgin olive oil like Belmorso EVOO.
5 Ingredients Italian Goat Cheese Sandwich
- bread knife
- plate or bread board
- 2 brioche buns
- 6 tsp Belmorso Cannonata spread
- 4 slices roasted turkey ham
- 110 gr goat cheese
- black olives as many as you like
- fresh basil as much as you like
- black pepper just a crack on top
- Belmorso Extra Virgin Olive Oil to drizzle
- Slice the brioche buns and layer on a large plate, a tray or a prep. board.
- Open your Cannonata and add two spoonfuls to each side of your sandwich. Repeat for the other bun.
- Add a few basil leaves and top with 2 slices of roasted turkey ham. You can opt for just 1 slice, if you prefer.
- Add more basil and crumble the goat cheese on top.
- Season with a crack of black pepper. I don't suggest adding salt as the ham and Cannonata are well seasoned.
- Drizzle some Belmorso Extra Virgin Olive Oil on top.
- Cover with the other half of the bun, and enjoy.
- Feel free to grill yours, if you prefer a crunchy sandwich!
Goat Cheese Sandwich Recipes Variations
If you want to make this a staple for work or school lunches, here are some other recipe ideas.
- Chicken and goat cheese sandwich
- A simple one with just ham and formaggio di capra
- Goat cheese tomato sandwich
- A breakfast bread featuring goat cheese with honey
Best Italian Sandwiches & Panini on the blog
If you liked this recipe, I am certain you’ll also love these other ones. Take a look.
- Grilled cheese with fontina cheese
- Italian-style Healthy panino
- Ham panino of dreams with prosciutto crudo
- Sausage panino from Puglia
Answering your questions, like What veggies go well with goat cheese?
How to make Italian sandwich?
How long goat cheese lasts in fridge?
What goes well with goat's cheese in a sandwich?
What veggies go well with goat cheese?
How do you make goat cheese taste better?
What deli meat goes well with goat cheese?